Thursday, October 8, 2009

down to the bounce

after days and days of crying without being comforted, i believe we are stretched thinner than we ever have been before. i said last week we were hanging on by a thread. that thread feels like it's about to snap.

but today...today she smiled. not in her sleep, not because of gas, but a real look-you-in-the-eye smile. alaythia was holding her, she was locked on with daddy. and in typical fashion, mommy missed it. but she smiled. a bit of sophia came through today and i felt like maybe i might get to know this little girl someday.

------

i bounce and sway, shush and hum. i stand in my bathroom with the fan going, sophia seems to like that better. alaythia pops her curly-haired head in the door, 'mommy? what you doing?' 'trying to put sophia to sleep. what are you doing?' she convinces me to come out to the living room where the boys are reading books, she take a detour into her bedroom and picks up her baby doll on the way. all of the sudden she's at my side. bouncing, swaying. our hips bump as we sway. (actually it's more like my hips hitting her head!)

my baby starts to fuss. i invite her to bring her baby into the bathroom with me. so the four of us head back in. i can barely see her face in the bottom of the mirror. i bounce, she bounces. i hum, she hums. i start to shush, she shushes. i can't help but look at my daughter. my daughter.

we're both standing in front of the mirror, she copies my every move. how many times have i been in this situation? but never as the mother. she catches my eye and we both smile. our noses scrunch up the same and our shushing sound changes. we laugh through our bouncing and breath at the same moment.

i'm struck with her beauty. with the fact that she's mine. i'm overwhelmed that she's taking all her cues from me. down to the bounce. my heart is full as i bounce one and watch one bounce her own baby doll.

then daddy comes in with her toothbrush, yes, even mommy's have to brush their teeth.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nat-

So cute. It is amazing sometimes just to LOOK at our kids and know they are ours. So sorry this is such a hard time with Sophia. Whew...Praying.

Laurie Sue

michelle said...

beautifully written, natalie! i really enjoyed reading this. give sophia a squeeze for me, and know that it WILL get easier!

Josh Stringer said...

how stinking adorable - Shana

Adina, mommy to Elijah, Merry and Micah said...

Okay, I think this was the sweetest blog I've read ever!! I read lots about girls and their daddies, but this was precious!! What a beautiful picture of a beautiful relationship between the two of you! We are praying lots for you guys, asking God to fill your home and hearts with his grace and wisdom (and some sleep in between, please, Lord???)

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I've always enjoyed your blog, but lately your writing has bloomed. Beautifully written and lovely.
ox