Sunday, January 31, 2010

the other side of the world

when my youngest brother moved out of my parent's house, it was traumatic. i can only imagine the confusion, the floundering, of what to do with your life when your kids are not physically demanding anything from you on a daily basis. especially if you've been a stay at home mother your entire life.

my day begins and ends with my kids. very seldom do i do something on my own time table. i rearrange my day around what they need. i give my life to better theirs. to grow them up, to watch them blossom. and one day, they will leave.

so while i have not experienced empty-nesting, i can imagine how drastically it would change your life.

after 20+ years of raising kids, when my mother was presented with empty-nesting, she decided to go back to school. nursing school. for 4 years she endured chemistry, anatomy, then clinicals and the final exam to become a nurse. i walked part of this road with her as i was living in her home for the second half of this journey. weeks after graduating she got an offer to be an operating room nurse. and then i watched as she became oriented in her new job and now flourishes.


it still boggles my mind when i hear about her day. cutting things open, medications i can't even pronounce. and yet, as stated by her supervisor recently, she has become 'the heart of the team' of people she works with. i am not surprised at all.

today she leaves for cambodia on a medical missions trip. she will spend two weeks at refugee camps holding a clinic for the sick and needy. she will travel by boat into remote villages and do house calls. my mother. the one that i rely on for balance, for wisdom, for emotional support, will go and give life to others who need it. physically and spiritually.

and while she is nervous about what is in store for her, i can't help but be excited. be excited for the mother that will show up with her baby in arms - sick and worried. i am excited for that cambodian mother because i know she will be met by my mother. caring, loving, empathetic, knowledgeable. and i know she will be given amazing care.

will you pray with me for her (and my brother jake who is going also)? that the Lord would go before them. that they would be given stamina and wisdom. that the Lord would guide their minds and hands as they seek to meet the needs that are presented to them. and that they would be very aware of the Lord's presence and guidance. and most importantly that all would be done for God's glory alone.

you can hear more about the area they are going to by watching this video.

AC - ROOFS AND WELLS from Imago Dei on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Natalie~what a beautiful expression of honor and love for your mom, my friend, Donna. I was looking on the imago website to find something of the details of the trip, and found nothing...I knew I could count on your "diary" to give some info, but wasn't expecting to cry through your words...well-stated, from the heart...I love you and your family and Mike and I stand in support through prayer for her, Jake and the team~Joy

natalie said...

joy - i posted the video after your comment...hope this helps too!

Unknown said...

Nat~thanks, that does help...what a great communication tool w/ the tablet flip pages. I can visualize it so well:-)as you get info re: your mom and jake, can you pass it on...

Christi said...

That is awesome! I remember when i first met your mom she had just graduated and was apprehensive about being in the field for real. It was so easy to tell even then that she would be an amazing nurse. I will be praying for the team!

julie martin said...

beautiful, nattie. like you, i am excited for all those who will be on the receiving end of your mom's love and care. i have had the blessing of knowing it as a friend, and the thought of people in cambodia, who have lived with so little, getting to experience her "donna-ness" moves me, and makes me beyond glad.

God be with you, donna, as you go.

Anonymous said...

i am well and sitting in the hotel lobby rested and ready to head out for the day..i think we all have adjusted to being ahead a day. heading to a clinic to orient this am and then see the holocaust museum/prison this afternoon. mtg with other agengies here. feels like a convergence of sorts. thanks to all of you for sending me out with such great strength. i feel your prayers and support.
love donna