Tuesday, October 26, 2010

i prefer earthquakes

i started my day visiting my friend christi's blog. (you must make it to the end picture and explanation...i laughed for a good long while.) she inspired me. i went to my blog, signed in, clicked on 'new post', determined to take the lemons in life right now and make lemonade.

nope, nothing.

life has been hard around here lately. we've got our heads down and we're plowing. we're tired, but can't let up yet. we've known for a very long time that october was going to be like this. but it doesn't seem to help when you're in the midst of it.

no sleep, sick kids, unimaginably hard comprehensive tests. so i guess it would seem fitting that we faced a tornado today. as if life wasn't throwing enough at us already.

isaiah and matt spent the day at school in the basement. isaiah was in the 'duck & cover' pose for 35 minutes, as he recalls it. matt was with jr. and sr. high schoolers trying to keep them contained.

me? i was at home with the girls, watching the t.v. in terror as i watched the storm head my way. i listened to the weather man tell others 'now is the time to seek protection - now!' i let him tell me what to do, where to go. i'm an earthquake girl. i'm familiar with that natural disaster. tornadoes...well, not so much.

while we did get hit with the 60+ mph wind, and torrential rain. while tornadoes did touch down around us, we came out unscathed. except for the knot in my stomach and mess to clean up. the mess was due to me determining the hall closet was going to be the safest place for me and the girls, so i emptied the entire thing -- making it ready for us to bolt into it if need be.

after everything had passed, my men were home and light rain was falling outside i determined a couple things. facing a tornado puts things into perspective. we're safe. we're together. we're healthy and okay. AND because there is no warning, because you can't watch it come at you, because once you know it's upon you it's over -- i prefer earthquakes.

3 comments:

Christi said...

You inspire me too.

I can't believe the tornado...it just seems like a movie to me.

This raising three kids thing is tough. So glad I have you to do this with, even far away.

alanmcs said...

and we prefer having you here to have earthquakes with.

w said...

That's scary! But you crack me up with the mess from emptying the closet: "It looks like a tornado blew through here!" Hang in there, lean in, Nat!