Tuesday, May 19, 2009

big brother

matt has always talked to isaiah about being a big brother. protecting his sister, caring for her. when we found out that sophia was a girl, matt stepped up his game with isaiah. they now had 3 girls to take care of. he would be 'the brother' and their job had just grown now taking care of 'their girls'. isaiah, in usual fashion, took it as his own, and has been very serious about it. taking his cues from his dad and also stepping up his game.

isaiah will kiss my belly and say hello to sophia almost every day. alaythia has a princess phone that plays music, and he loves to push the button to make it go, and hold it to my belly 'for sophia to hear'. i overheard him talking to alaythia the other day while they were playing, 'now alaythia, you are going to have to be okay if i take a toy that you are playing with a give it to sophia if she needs it. you are going to have to share.' alaythia, the sweet sister that she is, looked intently at him and said, 'okay bro.'

but he's not only started to reach out to sophia, he's become more aware of alaythia and her needs. several times now, when we have been outside playing with friends, isaiah has stepped in, unprompted, to alaythia's defense. a friend had taken her toy she was playing with and took off on a bike as alaythia was chasing after them. isaiah saw what was going on, stepped infront of the bike as it came past him and said, 'give my sister back her toy!' they did what they were told and gave the toy back. similar situations arise pretty frequently and he does the same thing. stepping in on her behalf.

while this alone is enough to keep me going, to add to it, i noticed yesterday that alaythia is catching on. being second youngest in the crowd that is outside, she has realized she has an ally. and a good one. he's big, he's tough, and he can do for her, what she can't do for herself. yesterday she found herself in a tough spot...and she yelled for isaiah. i was right there, i was watching the whole thing. but she yelled for him. for her big brother. and he came, and fixed the situation.

i never had a big brother, but i'm pretty sure that my girls have one of the best around.

6 comments:

itsmepollyb said...

Okay...I'll adopt a little girl so that Justin can be the big brother he's dying to be...but give me a few years.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog and Amy's blog back to back. Amy's usually makes me fall out of my chair, laughing. Your blog gives me the "Awwwwwww" factor I need to get through the day. This entry was especially "awwwwww" :). Precious, precious kids. I am blessed to have such wonderful "greats".
Love, Aunt Sandi :)

alanmcs said...

i would say they do.

it will be fun to experience these family dynamics that you have never known before. all part of God's plan!

Unknown said...

I want to be his little sister!
I had gpotten backlogged and just read the last 5 posts... I'm upping the anty... maybe you think think about a book....convert your posts into a book...they have programs that do that you know... :)
I miss you!

tommysmommy said...

Thant is so sweet! I always wanted a big brother.

Shana Stringer said...

I will definitely need to take some cues from you to teach our little one to be a good big brother. Thumbs up! That is absolutely adorable. I will so be paying attention to that now.