Wednesday, March 31, 2010

what's wrong

i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. i work so hard to try to keep my kids healthy. you could say i even obsess about it. and yet, it feels like we've been sick for 7 months straight. we'll have an occasional couple days when everyone is feeling well and people sleep through the night. but those times are very rare.

last week isaiah came down with a stomach bug. the next day it hit me. just yesterday i started to feel better. i thought we were out of the woods. then this morning alaythia started complaining that her stomach hurt. and sure enough... (sorry grandma and grandpa, i know you'll probably read this before i get a chance to tell you. i'm hopeful that, like isaiah, it will be an 18 hour thing and we'll be well and able to put this all behind us when you arrive tomorrow).

i'm weary of sickness. i want to sleep. it's been months since i've slept for more than 2 hours at a time. i want to be healthy and enjoy life, not try to survive through it. i'm desperate.

so with much trepidation i am opening it up to your opinion, to your advise. because obviously what i'm doing is not working.

4 comments:

Rachel Lundy said...

I don’t know if this would help your family or not, but we have had fewer illnesses since we got an air purifier in our apartment. It was expensive (about $250), but it has really made a difference. The mold in these apartments is bad, and a good air purifier will clean mold spores and allergens out of the air. Last year Will and William were sick every month. This year all we have had is one little cold.

That’s the extent of the advice I have for how to stay healthy. Other than that, all I can do is share about how to cope in the midst of illness. God is giving me lots of time to learn to live joyfully and contentedly in the midst of suffering. One thing that helps me when I am in need of encouragement is a particular portion of “When God Weeps.” I actually just posted it on my blog yesterday if you want to read it. God always uses those words to get my perspective where it needs to be as He calls me to trust Him in the midst of suffering.

I will be praying for you. It’s hard to be a wife, mother, and friend while dealing with constant illnesses at home. I hope that you will all be well again soon.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your immune systems just aren't getting a change to recover between bouts. I would do everything I can to build up everyone's immune system. I'm sure your doctor or pediatrician can give you some good suggestions regarding diet and supplements.
Love, Aunt Sandi :)

itsmepollyb said...

Last week we discovered this awesome shot (which also comes in a tablet if you can keep it down) that stops vomiting absolutely immediately. Don't know what it's called, but you no longer just have to wait it out. Call the pediatrician!

domestic bias said...

Vitamin D baby, Vitamin D. In WAY higher doses than currently recommended by FDA. :) I won't venture to give you my other less than mainline opinions about why modern children are always so sick (immune systems that don't work) unless you want to email me privately...don't want to start any online debates :)

Hope you are able to fall on God's enormous grace in the midst of sickness, I know it is rough. Praying for you today!

Thanks for your blog, I read it often to be encouraged, empathize and giggle.