Monday, July 5, 2010

fourth of july

we hosted a big party last night for the fourth of july. we had over 30 people here for food, swimming, corn hole tournament and fireworks. it was like part of my soul opened up last night. finally having the ability to host things in my home, and watching my kids make memories like i have as a kid.

i grew up with people around all the time. our house was (and my parents house still is) an open door for people. there was always food and being together, we never needed an excuse to celebrate. i learned from my mom how to host people, how to feed people, how to be hospitable. and i love doing. but since moving to kentucky, we just have not had a home that is conducive to having people over. i have felt stifled, frustrated and like a big part of who i am just couldn't be expressed.

all weekend as we were getting ready for the party, i was overwhelmed with thankfulness once again for this house. as we finished getting ready and i looked around i felt a part of my soul come back to life. as people arrived and i watched the kids play in the two pools we had, as i watched the adults relax, as i helped the babies play with toys in the playroom...my heart overflowed. all felt right.

i kept thanking people again and again for coming over. they were helping me come back to life.

when it came time for fireworks....


there were bucket loads of kids,

the girls clapping in approval,

the boys dancing smoke dances around the fire

and wrestling in between.

just as i remember it being when i was little.

they were surrounded with a large group of people - with their friends. it was so fulfilling to give my kids some of the favorite memories i have as a kid.


it was a good day...a fulfilling day...a day to be thankful for so much. for abundance and a rich life.

3 comments:

zhuwenming said...

Your family is real happiness.Although i am 19 years old,i wish i will have a happied family like you.At present, i am studying at a College, i only live with my father in 15 years (My farther died when i am 15).Look in your family's image,it make me remember my father and tears was falling down.Happy for your family with your wife, son and daughter.A happied family.........Sorry for mistake writing or Stupid-English's Style.

LydiaG. said...

What a wonderful 4th of July! That sure trumps all the laws here in CA. Love and miss you all.
Aunt Lydia

Sherri Price said...

What a great tradition to keep going and it looks like everyone had so much fun! I read this when you first posted it, but am commenting now because I wanted to say, "Happy Anniversary!" Love, Sherri