Saturday, December 20, 2008

it's time to come clean

i've obviously not been as faithful to this as i have been in the past. and don't think it don't know it. it weighs on me. but if i'm honest i'm a bit scared...a bit like deer caught in headlights. i'm unable to do it.

here's why. it feels like over the past few months there has been this crescendo of interest in the blog. strangers, people that i barely know, people i know well, all saying they read faithfully. some say i should write a book. some talk about this story or that story. 'that was so creative!' 'how did you think of that?'

the other day i got a phone call from someone (who shall remain unnamed) and the first words out of their mouth were, 'you need to post! stop doing what your doing and put something cute and creative on there!' now i know they were joking, but it really did freak me out.

i never set out to be funny, or creative, or a writer. because i am none of those things. it's a fluke if any of those things happened. so now i'm paralyzed. afraid to be caught, afraid the truth will come out. so i shy away.

the reality is i live a very ordinary life, although with extra-ordinary people. and i never want this blog to become something that is mustered up, trying to 'be' something. i just wanted it to be my life. i haven't felt it would be authentic in this past month, so i shied away. i fight my own dragons. it's not because of comments, it's me. and i'm trying to overcome.

but i do feel it rising up in me again. a desire to share, thoughts to tell you about. unhindered by the thought that i must be anything else but myself.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

:)
seriously, NO pressure.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I think most bloggers feel like that from time to time.

We'll be here, when you feel like writing.

:)

Unknown said...

I will fight your dragons if you want me too.
Jaker
love you

Christi said...

That was a GREAT blog post. It was so creative..you should totally write a book.

Okay, I'm a punk.

I try to write thinking of my kids as grown-ups as the audience. I just want to show them what it was like.

julie martin said...

( i haven't posted in weeks and weeks. have been fighting some dragons of my own. want to do some dragon slaying together??)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sweetie!
I think you should post when you feel like posting. If your blog controls you, then THAT is a problem. I thoroughly enjoy your stories, and always look forward to your posts, but it's no big deal if you take time off between entries.
A lot of moms (including me) never take the time to write down the little day-to-day anecdotes about their little ones. The record you are keeping will be treasured by Isaiah and Alaythia some day. I see you doing this more for them than for us.
Love, Aunt Sandi :)

Anonymous said...

So you've just started to realize what we always knew, Natalie being Natalie brings joy to so many. Just remember why you started blogging and forget about us.
Love,
Aunt Lydia
P.S. A book is so old school. Bet we could sell something to NBC. Do you have an agent?

Sherri Price said...

Being yourself is enough! For those who know you, your blog has been a great way to somehow stay connected to your life and the wonderful adventure you are on. When you write you are transparent and that's what I think people appreciate. Keep being yourself and write when it's a good thing for you.
Love, Sherri

Anonymous said...

I would be sad to not have Natalie's blog to read every few days. I love the pics and hearing about the kids.
Raising two kids and being a wife is busy enough, so, forget us, and stay with what's comfortable for you, but, please keep it up!
Connie D

Will and Nan said...

Yeah, its hard to not write good material when you have awesome kids to give it to you without even trying. haha.

I agree though its hard to keep this whole blog thing going while doing this thing called life.

Hope you guys are well!
-Will