Thursday, September 24, 2009

good signs

it's been a little rough around here lately. our little sophia is a doll, but she is...as her father said tonight to someone...particular. she likes things a certain way and will let you know if it's not to her liking. it could be other things, things that are bothering her, and we're going to the doctor tomorrow to check it out. but for now, we'll say, there has been a lot of crying. (as i type, daddy is taking a turn, cause mommy's been going all day and can't seem to make it stop).

despite our little particular princess, her siblings seems unaffected. tonight as we were preparing to leave our small group alaythia walked me over to the person holding sophia and said, 'mommy, we have to get sophia!' the person joked that she was going to take sophia home for the week and alaythia quickly responded, 'no! she goes with us.' i was oh-so-very encouraged. at two and half, when your little sister doesn't do much but eat, sleep and cry, when your mommy's arms are always full with someone besides you, i bet it would be tempting to say 'okay'. but despite it all, alaythia still wanted sophia to come home with her. she still wants to hold her and kiss her. i'm so thankful.

isaiah, in his astute observations popped off last night (after trying to hold sophia only to give up after she started screaming) with, 'mom, why does sophia hate everyone but you?' i tried to explain that she is more used to me because she was inside me for so long. my voice, my bounce, my smell. and that she was still trying to figure things out. i explained that her body is still so new and she scares herself with all the new things that happen to her and surround her. but i assured him that one day, very soon, he will become her favorite person and she will laugh at him and beg to play with him. his face lit up with the thought.

unbelievably, there are new parts of my heart opening up. i didn't think that was possible. when i see isaiah hold sophia and see how similar they look, i stare in awe. there's a 'type' of them. matt and i together make the same looks and i see it in two faces staring back at me. when i see isaiah and alaythia love sophia, invite her in to their lives, long for her to be a part of their world...i'll admit my heart hurts. it's not pride...it's new. i can't describe it yet. but i like it.

3 comments:

Christi said...

You have such a way with words to describe this time of a million feelings. You'll be glad you did...I had forgotten some of those same things I felt until I read about your experience.

Sam Neylan said...

such great writing... though not a mom of even one, i feel like you take me with you and i get to experience some elemnts of it. :) Even with all the crying and caring for kids, you're still updatin the blog... amazing :)
good job!

Adina, mommy to Elijah, Merry and Micah said...

So precious! I posted some pics that included your children on our blog at http://icaskey.wordpress.com Can you email me with your email so that I can send you photos if/when I finally get around to organizing them!