Sunday, April 6, 2008

a decision to celebrate

once you reach adulthood it's pretty well known that birthdays just aren't that big of a deal. my 29th was shaping up to live up to that notion. that was, until my mother decided to celebrate me.

she unexpectedly got the day off...and she was ready to celebrate in style. she took the kids and i to a french bakery/restaurant in downtown portland. how i've lived here for over two years and never been there...i'll never understand. it was the real deal. jean peirre was our waiter, when we ordered a fancy smancy birthday cake the woman took our order in a french accent, then handed the cake to a french chef, decked out in the expected attire, to write me a birthday message. when he was done, he presented me this, work of art really, and wished me a happy birthday.

the sun was out, rare for our weather of late, so we made a stop at the park on our way home. when the kids went down for a nap mom sent me off with birthday money and a command to go shopping. but the celebration did not end with that day.

friday night she and matt planned a family dinner for me, where she spent most the day shopping and cooking. saturday morning was filled with women and a brunch...with no children. drinking coffee out of tea cups..taking our time.

she works tons of hours as an O.R. nurse, and really did all the work 29 years ago...but she chose to celebrate me...and i'm so thankful. 29 will go down as one of the best and most celebrated no doubt.

5 comments:

itsmepollyb said...

Enjoy it while you can...at 30 it's all downhill!

Glad it was a nice time!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Nat! I'm so glad you felt so celebrated! We are so thankful for you!!!
Laura

Unknown said...

happy belated B-day!!!!
I just got back into town..
I'm glad you were born (and that you're mom put her back into forcing you into our world!)

Hope it was a GREAT b-day!

Heidi said...

I was thinking about you on your birthday...my fellow April birth buddy!=0) It is so wonderful to celebrate...I always try and make surewe keep the festivities alive...no reason to stop just because you grow older...almost more reason to celebrate really!=0)

Thanks for your comment! I thought you realized I had a blog from my comments!=0) It's a great way to stay updated though and to record those memories that will one day fade...

Love you Nat!!! =0)

Sand and Paint said...

Happy Birthday my fellow "aprilite" (I don't think that's a word). What a great day! 30 is right around the corner, but remember if 50 is the new 40 then 18 is the new 30 :)