Tuesday, August 26, 2008

there is no such thing as normalcy

so it seems fitting that this post would be following up the other. life is good, look at me. i couldn't be happier.

yeah, today sucked.

and the reality is, i knew it was going to suck. cause the morning started off so great. and when it does that, the afternoon usually is the opposite. isaiah and alaythia snuggled in bed this morning, isaiah was sweet and kind to his little sister. at one point they were playing happily in their room together while i had breakfast at the table AND READ MY BIBLE. it was at that moment that i thought, 'brace yourself natalie, this day is not going to get better.'

we went to mom's play group. the kids cried the entire time. why? don't know. they just did. it's what they seem to do now. i left early after trying in vain to keep my spirits up. i hoped that nap time would be a 'reset' for us all....but alaythia woke up an hour into her nap and woke isaiah up. no rest for the weary. isaiah started a new class today so we had a snack and started to get ready for that. we're about to walk out the door, i'm putting the diapers into my purse when...bam. i hear alaythia fall. she's right behind me mind you. she wasn't walking, running or jumping. she was standing.

i no sooner turn but figure out that her forhead hit the corner of the wall perfectly. and you can guess the rest. blood everywhere, gushing. me trying to keep my cool. matt's in class, i yell at isaiah to go get the neighbor and run to the kitchen with alaythia. my very mature 3 year old does what i say and brings the neighbors over with him a few minutes later.

i can't stop the bleeding and she and i are covered. i start sobbing that i don't know what to do. i can see the shock and fear in their eyes as they walk upon the scene. but they kick in to high gear, get me, my purse and baby into their car. one stays with isaiah and one drives us. a blessing, since i don't even know where the hospital is. as she's driving she calls matt on my cell phone. gets him out of class.

the story is more detailed, but i'll spare you. the neighbors keep isaiah and matt, alaythia and i head to the ER. it's her 18 month birthday today...she had to be a big girl. they papoose her...she's hysterical. i loose it and then gain composure to try to calm her. daddy and i sing through the stitches. the nurse joins in. the doxology, jesus loves me...even the wheels on the bus. and at the end she comes away with 4 stiches, vertical, right smack dab in the middle of her forehead...

i really want to put the day to rest...but i felt like i should post pictures before i did. the grandparents were a little up in arms that they weren't here....

here's our brave girl.

12 comments:

julie martin said...

oh nat! i'm so sorry! hopefully you are all getting some rest! and the day after you were starting to feel normal!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I hate it when they papoose them. They just don't know what is happening.

It will get better. Please know you are loved.

(Zack got his stitches when he was just a few months older. He screamed so loudly my Mom could hear him in the waiting room. Horrible day. Funny thing is he doesn't even remember it at all.)

Evan and Lyndsey Hendrix said...

Wow Nat what a day! But look at Alaythia in the last picture, she's even kind of smiling! I feel like every little kid has that story of blood and stiches on their forehead, I know I did! Miss you!

Laura said...

Oh, I cannot even imagine! She looks so brave in those pictures. Love you guys!

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Hang in there, Nat. And if it's any comfort, she won't remember a thing! Love you!

Unknown said...

well, that's one way to meet your neighbors!
:)

julie martin said...

two-year-old bobe got bit by a friend's dog in the wrist. ER had to do the whole papoose thing to stitch her up. that was our first of several. when they are older it is almost harder. nine-year-old lornie refused to go to the ER after slicing the bottom of her foot on glass. she kept yelling, "i will NOT get stitches! i would rather them CUT MY WHOLE FOOT OFF!!"

loved your story of singing the doxology with alaythia in the ER--what a great image!

Laina Diane said...

What a sweet girl. Looks like she's going to be playing and laughing very soon. That shirt, however, looks like it's toast. haha.
I'm glad to see that your move has been relatively problem free. It sounds like you will adjust with ease. I guess that comes with the territory when you have lots of experience with moving to new places.
Love you and you're in my thoughts...
L

Heidi said...

Oh Natalie so scary!! It's especially hard to see our little ones hurt AND try and remain calm! I'm always worried I'll lose it when I see the blood!

And when I was about her age, I jumped off the couch and smacked my forhead into the coffee table. Stitches right smack in the middle of my forhead!=0) Fun! She'll have a good story to tell the rest of her life now!

domestic bias said...

so stinkin sad. you are a great mama and Alaythia is lucky to have you.

Maddie said...

awww poor Alaythia! That must've been a crazy day! I am gald she is ok =)

Maddie said...

awww poor Alaythia! That must've been a crazy day! I am gald she is ok =)