Wednesday, September 3, 2008

i didn't let it pass me by today

i think as mothers we sometimes get so preoccupied with the things that have to get done in the day, that we miss out on cool moments that could have been.

i admire my mom for lots of things. and as i grow in my motherhood, it's hard to fathom, but i admire her more and more. one thing of recent that i really enjoyed about her was her creativity with my kids. she would point things out to them that i usually walk right by. she would think of things to explain to them that i never had. i was constantly being inspired by watching them interact. i'll never forget the night she let isaiah pull every single kleenex out of the box, just to see him throw them in the air and pile them on her. i thought it was wasteful and that it was teaching him bad things. she said, 'you never know what creative spark you ignited by doing it.' okay. i'll trust it.

so, along with a lot of other things, i'm trying to fill the void of her creativity in my kids life.

isaiah was walking around in his rain boots this morning. don't know why. but all of the sudden the rain started coming down in sheets. not like the NW where you know it's coming. this is sudden and severe. sheets are coming down and isaiah already has his rain boots on. i open the door to see if it's warm and am blasted with hot humid air...

i run to the closet with him right on my tail and grab his new rain coat. i rip off the tag and put it on him. he's looking at me in disbelief. he can't believe i'm actually going to let him out there. i know my mom would be proud if she could see me.

it takes all of 1 minute for alaythia to want to be out there with him. she's in her pajama top and diaper... i rip off the tags to her coat and put it on. i watch them dance in the rain...my camera fogs up faster than i can shoot pictures. i remember that back in college during el nino, i bought an obnoxious green rain coat and to my amazement, it's hanging right there in the closet. so i go join them. i'm sure isaiah thought someone had taken his mom and replaced her with some one much more adventurous and fun.

but the rain was good for all of us. to spark something in their minds today. to break out of our ruts. so here's to doing the unexpected...at least every once in a while.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

yay!!!! so fun!
I wish you were my mom!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Sounds like my kind of day...

Laura said...

That's awesome! Very inspiring!

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Love it!!! Although I wish there were a picture of you in your green raincoat...

julie martin said...

so cool! wish i could have been there to stomp around with you guys...

Anonymous said...

Such a fun memory!! Speaking of which, I remember that green raincoat!! I actually just came across a picture of you, Holly and Emily all stylin' in your matching green raincoats!
Katharine

Anonymous said...

How fun. I love the pictures.
Yes your Mom is a gem!
We are all blessed to have her in our life.

Hugs to all,
Bev