Sunday, September 7, 2008

what are you reading?

isaiah's done with pilgrim's progress. whizzed through that. it's nap time for alaythia, and we're giving it a shot with 'quiet' time for everyone. isaiah's done a great job of playing on his own while daddy does homework and i work.

he asked matt a few minutes ago if he could read him a story. so matt finished his chapter in his book and read him a library book. matt went back to reading. he jokingly said, 'do you want me to read you this book?' 'yes!' isaiah said.

so matt started in, thinking that he would lose interest in 2 seconds. but no...several minutes in when matt mentioned daniel, isaiah interrupted him and said, 'is that daniel from daniel in the lions den?' 'yes, actually, it is.' matt and i stop and look at each other - you've got to be kidding!

matt thinks isaiah is done listening so he stops reading out loud. isaiah wispers in his hear, 'dad....you're not reading.' matt says, 'are you serious?' oh yes, he's serious. so i sit here, with a blog to write now as my PhD candidate husband reads his text books to my three and half year old son. every once in a while matt will get up and get a snack. he'll come back and think isaiah's not interested. again a whisper, 'dad....you're not reading.' matt can't help but burst into laughter. they're on the floor, both with a snack, reading away.

you wanna read what isaiah's reading? here's the title 'The Septuagint in Context' by Natalio Fernandez Marcos.

i'll take a picture now, just so you'll believe me!! i swear, i could not make this up if i tried!

5 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I believe it. You wouldn't believe the things I have read to my kids, thinking they'd lose interest, at some point right.

Until I hoarse.

So now I sometimes beg off; they can read, after all, to themselves.

But it is awesome. You never know what they'll absorb.

Unknown said...

AWE-some!

julie martin said...

goodness, nat!

domestic bias said...

That's such a great story and I love the photo, little legs crossed chomping on his apple and Matt with that look of delight as he reads!

Heidi said...

I enjoyed reading this....as I enjoy reading all your posts!!=0) What an amazing little boy you have Nat!!