Monday, April 27, 2009

breaking the mold

we went as a family this morning. we were out the door, stopped at starbucks and were early to the appointment. that's a first for us i think.

the kids were crazy in the waiting room. i knew it was going to be a mistake to take them in with us. matt and i both tried to tell them they were going to have to be good, be still. what they didn't know was we were secretly loaded with snacks, toys and treats.

we walked back into the dark room and there was a chair for them to sit in together. there was a screen on the wall that projected the images for all to see. matt stood by the screen pointing out the leg, the hand that waved hello, the little face. they were mesmerized. saying hello, waving, asking if i was okay. we heard the heartbeat together. then we saw the legs and the butt and matt and i knew. the technician said, 'oh, i think i know what it is'. she took isaiah on the other side of the curtain to whisper to him. he was the first to know. matt and i looked at each other and said, 'boy'.

isaiah came around the corner and said, 'it's a girl!'

matt and i both said, 'what?!' we were shocked, and continue to be still. it's a funny thing getting a glimpse into what your life will look like. more princess than baseball. more dance recitals than football games. interesting. i must admit that when i pictured my family, i never thought the girls would out number the boys.

but i will be the mother of 2 daughters...and that freaks me out royally. and names...yeah, let's not even go there. this one might not ever get a name.

but here's to the fiesty little one inside of me. a healthy little girl. still so unbelievable.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

what??!?!?!??!? so fun!!!!
loved the post...I felt like I was there (in a non-creepy way, of course). :)
congratulations!

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

YEAH! Hurray for girls, so much fun! Was Alaythia excited?

Anonymous said...

That's so great, Natalie. By the way, this is how our family was stacked, and I was the youngest girl. I like your newest daughter already. We have LOTS to talk about. Youngest daughters need to stick together!
Love, Aunt Sandi :)

Evan and Lyndsey Hendrix said...

Yay for more girls in the Hendrix/Godshall family!!! WooHoo :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Everyone!!!
You know our family has four girls and of course the boy is the oldest. All of us are different but we mirror our mother's character traits in one way or another. Your example of daily living through Christ will be the model for the "glittery pink princess" or the "tomboy". You are going to have so much fun!
Love,
Aunt Lydia

julie martin said...

how exciting! now the hendrix/godshall families will get to experience SISTERS!

and who says the girls will outnumber the boys? i thought isaiah had you signed up to have four? maybe it will be a tie.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Congratulations! Another healthy little girl. How exciting...

Christi said...

Sisters?! That has to be one of the coolest relationships ever. I love the way you wrote this story down in detail...such a huge day in history for the Godshall family.

Anonymous said...

Dad (Luke) says...
To our newest granddaughter, this day I'm grateful to know you are my granddaugher. Of course I love you but knowing you're a little girl, gives me a definitive pathway to love you. I know your father and mother really well and I know your brother and sister.. yours is a family filled with so many great things and I can't wait to tell you about them. Your dad is really smart and mom is smarter, well maybe a different kind of smart. Your grandma thinks this is the greatest day and she can't wait to see and hold you. When I heard that you were a girl my heart wrenched. I wasn't expecting the emotion or tug...it caught me off guard. I can't wait to see you
love your Grampa

itsmepollyb said...

More ponytails! I'll hit the stores for more pink tomorrow. Congrats!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

YAY! We love girls!! Sophie's very excited.

Sherri Price said...

Loved reading all the details of the doctor's visit. Couldn't be happier for you all!
Love,
Sherri

Todd and Noelle said...

congratulations! it's so fun to know more about the little one moving around inside you, huh?!

dfrese said...

So fun and exciting to know a little about what your fam will be like later. Congrats. I didn't think I'd have 4...God has a plan! Love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Natalie! She will be such a beautiful addition to your family! I love little girls! And you are such a good mommy too, they are lucky to have you. You all will be in my prayers, I think of you often!

Love,
Krista

Jaime Wallace said...

So happy for you all! Reading your Dad's post was heartwarming. What a blessed and full family this little girl is entering into. Get some rest :) this last little while...ENJOY!