Wednesday, August 12, 2009

i bless you mommy

we haven't been great at this, but recently we started with renewed commitment, blessing the kids with scripture before they go to bed. matt does it primarily, i fill in when he's away. he holds their face with this hands, looks into their eyes and blesses them. it's amazing to me how much they have come to love it. alaythia specifically asks for it. isaiah's big brown eyes seem hungry for it.

last night i was snuggled in with alaythia on her bed as we were singing songs. all of the sudden she rolled over and put both her arms around my neck for a hug. then she put both her hands on my cheeks and said, 'i bless you mommy.' i laid there next to her and looked into her eyes...

'Lord is good to you. peace, peace, peace.' then she gave me a kiss.

the thing is, i needed to hear that. i'm not feeling much peace lately. i worry about sophia, her health and her arrival. i feel extremely anxious and upset about having a c-section, a surgery, and all the mental game that goes into that.

the reality is, the Lord is good to me. and i need three times the peace right now. and she spoke those truths to me. i was so thankful for her blessing last night.

it always catches me by surprise, although i shouldn't be anymore, just how much you are given as a mother. you think you give and give and give, and at times it feels one sided, but then something like last night happens, and you realize just how much you are given through these little lives.

8 comments:

Laina Diane said...

What a sweet moment for the two of you. Makes me wish I knew your little Alaythia...

Todd and Noelle said...

we ARE so blessed by our children, amen!! i hope all goes well with the arrival of sweet sophia. i'll look forward to reading about it!

The Hammond Family said...

I can't wait for those moments...i probably would have had tears streaming down my face if my little daughter would have said that to me! :)

Shana Stringer said...

That is really precious.

Rachel Lundy said...

So very sweet!

Danielle said...

what a sweet memory....
Glad i found your blog :)

Adina, mommy to Elijah, Merry and Micah said...

What beautiful hearts your children have! You and Matt are blessed! I struggled VERY hard to trust God with my third's arrival. Then I struggled with the fact that I was struggling! "I should feel comfortable with this mothering thing by now!" The third one threw me for a loop in so many ways more than the first or second - don't ask me why, I have NO clue!! Praise God, HE is glorified even more greatly in our weakness.

LindaG said...

Wow,what a powerful blessing from such young lips! We didn't think you could improve on "perfect peace" as found in Isaiah 26:3 which is a double portion of peace - "shalom, shalom". But a triple peace blessing from Alaythia - an incredible blessing to ponder and treasure in your heart!!! Love, Papa & GG