Saturday, February 6, 2010

alone

when i was in high school i remember sitting in a movie theater with friends and watching this woman walk in alone. she sat down in the row in front of us just slightly to the right. i was so embarrassed for her. i remember thinking it would be better to not go to a movie than see one alone. at the time, that equaled serious humiliation.

once i was in college and early married, my embarrassment for people turned into compassion. i just plain felt bad for them. sad that they didn't have someone to watch with, sad that they were alone.

today, one of my favorite things to do is go to a movie alone. i love it because it's so opposite of the reality of my everyday life. there is no one to monitor. no one to talk to. i am responsible for nothing. no interruptions. i go and get lost for a few hours. i don't have to worry about it being too loud or too scary or too much skin.

now, don't get me wrong, i like going to movies with my husband. but at this time in our lives, it doesn't make sense. first the whole babysitter thing. but let's just say we did get a babysitter, the last thing i would want to do is go sit in a dark theater and not talk to him while we had time to ourselves. time to be able to finish a sentence - a thought - without getting interrupted.

i wonder if the young girls in the theater feel bad for me when they see me walk in a sit down alone. they have no idea it's a sweet reprieve - it's just the way i like it.

p.s. mom is doing better - if you want to see pictures of the time over there you can click here.

4 comments:

w said...

EXACTLY. Well put!

Pulse204 said...

Natalie... I loved this post! Not just because I agreed with everything in it wholeheartedly (esp. the waste of a babysitter to go to a movie), but more importantly because of how beautifully it is written. Sometimes I feel I get lost in the music of your writing. I love it, and can't wait for you to compile it all in a book! I will be first in line to buy it! I love you and think of you often... Emily (Mason) Vahey

Shana Stringer said...

I agree with the prior comment, you are a great writer. I love reading your stuff. You make me want to write better on our blog, but I just can't quite pull it off. I totally agree with you about the movie thing. I have never been to a movie by myself, but Josh has a few times. I never like going though for a date or something because you might as well be alone.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Love catching a movie, be it alone or with others.

It's just nice to get away.

Work slows for me this week, so tomorrow? I plan on seeing a matinee. :)