Thursday, August 5, 2010

some help

i have hesitated sharing this information because i fear you'll think i'm super organized and really on top of things. you know that's not true. you know that i'm white knuckling things, fighting hard to figure it out.

but at the same time, that's why i've wanted to share it. because it's helped me tremendously.

as a mother of young children i feel like i'm constantly fighting the battle of balancing my duties in running a house and spending time with my kids. inevitably i will favor one over the other in a day. at the end of the day when i'm thinking back over the events, i feel guilty. regardless of which way i favored.

a friend had told me about a program she uses and it sounded wonderful, i got all the material and NEVER pulled it out. but as i was falling more and more behind, getting more and overwhelmed, in desperation, i decided one day to give it a try. and i have not looked back since.

how it works. there are 'chores' you do everyday. things you would do normally. laundry, wiping off the kitchen counters, doing dishes. then there is a list of things to do that are just for that day - on a rotation. things like moping and cleaning the toilets.

here's how it's helped me specifically.

MENTAL SPACE: before i would wake up, take inventory of the house (ie: see all that needed to be done) and then work like a mad woman to get it done. it would never all get done and no matter how hard i worked i would still never really feel like i could relax or be satisfied at the end of the day. i would look around and see all that still needed to be done. now, i wake up, look at my very manageable list. and do JUST what's on there. the living room might be dusty, but that's not on my list today, it might be tomorrow, but i don't have to worry about it today. when my list is done, i can relax.

GUILT FREE PLAY: the kids come and ask me to play a game and with no guilt i do it. i no longer need to balance time between housework and kids...there is time for both.

MY HOUSE IS CLEANER & MY LIFE MORE ORGANIZED THEN IT'S EVER BEEN: some examples. it's amazing how things will pop up on there that i have thought about doing, but never in my wildest dreams thought i would ever have time for. like cleaning the blinds above my kitchen sink. they were filthy...gross...and yesterday it was on my list to clean them! or clip the kids nails. sounds stupid, but after isaiah went to a friend's house and asked his friends mother to clip his toenails because they were bothering him...oh i was MORTIFIED. that will never happen again because it popped up on my list two days ago. on my list today...clean out my car. perfect cause there's a nasty smell coming out of it! maybe the biggest plus for me is that i NEVER have to clean a whole bathroom in one day. i might clean a toilet or wash the mirror. or maybe i'll scrub the tub...but not all together. small chunks. manageable chunks.

saturday and sunday are semi-free days. you always have your everyday chores. there is even pampering and hobby time built in.

it appeals to me, checking the boxes, seeing my progress. has given me space, relieved some guilt and helped me be a better mom - i think. so i share it with you. it's not for everyone i'm sure. but it is working for me. you can find it at www.motivatedmoms.com

3 comments:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Good for you! I have no kids so I have less of an excuse for why my apartment gets messy, but I totally get not trying to do everything at once. On the days where I just don't have it in me but the place is messy, I try to make myself do at least 15 minutes of cleaning. It's amazing how much I can get picked up and cleaned in that time. Even though it's not everything, I can get my junk out of the living room, laundry picked up, or dishes done. Anyway, glad you shared...even though I'm not a mom, I'm going to check it out.

itsmepollyb said...

Intrigued. I must say...

w said...

That is inspiring! Thanks for sharing!