Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a measurable day

half way done.

and all the way done.
since moving into this house the yard has been a huge undertaking. it's a typical rental house. the yard has been neglected for years. i'm no gardener, but a good friend is, and i come from a woman with a deep love for gardening and dirt. and i can feel it rising up in me. with sarah helping me along and mom cheering me on, i am slowly starting to enjoy it.

trimming these bushes in the 90 degree heat (plus humidity) was a joy. not because i loved doing it, but because it was measurable. i saw where i started and saw immediately the difference i was making. it felt SO GOOD to do it. measurable, done. it was amazing how fulfilled i felt today. like i had really accomplished something.

and i started to wonder why i don't feel like this most days.

oh how different i feel with mothering. often i can't see see the difference i make on a day to day basis. i wake up to the same whining. i mediate the same bickering. i correct the same disobedience. the laundry is never done, the kitchen never stays clean. i fall into bed at night to wake up and do it all over again the next day. i know deep in me that what i'm doing is making a difference, but i sure wish i could see it like i did in my bushes today.

what i do with my kids is amazingly more significant and important. but i don't feel fulfilled most days. most days i feel defeated. i find myself longing for the bush analogy to burn on my heart. to look at my kids faces and know even if i can't see it, there is measurable progress. i am making a difference, although i can't see it as clearly as i did today in the yard.



oh yeah, and this is the other thing i did today.

4 comments:

Shana Stringer said...

I am so with you girl.

Christi said...

Yes. I am going to visualize tomorrow as that bush, and at the end of the day feel very fulfilled doing all the stuff that makes up raising a family.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I have to tell you, Gabe has that EXACT same shirt Isaiah's wearing. I can't believe it. Those boys are separated twins, born a year apart and from two different mothers!! (Or maybe we just have the same taste in clothes.)

Heather said...

Okay how do you capture the feelings so perfectly?!!!

And is Isaiah like 12 already? Wow Natalie, such a beautiful family, and such a beautiful life!