Tuesday, October 16, 2007

sometimes....

my brother adam left for africa on saturday. he and emily, and their two foster kids (doug & haylee) stayed at the house before he flew out. em and the kids decided to stay the weekend. we had a great time. i'm not sure all i can say about doug and haylee, but for now just know, adam and em are giving them a life they never dreamed they would have.

haylee, bless her little heart, is the sweetest, toughest little 5 year old you'll ever meet. everything about her seems to endear her to you. but perhaps one of the sweetest things about her is her grammar. for example, emily tells a story of when they went to a football game and haylee, referring to the cheerleaders, kept saying, 'her has glitter on her face, her has glitter on her face.' i experienced it myself this weekend.

haylee came down stairs after her shower on saturday night and she was in her pj's hair wet. i asked her if she wanted me to braid her hair while it was wet and then when she woke up in the morning it would be crimpy for church. she wasn't sure what to think of it, but with a little coaxing we convinced her. it takes a while to give a 5 year old two french braids...it's hard to sit still. so as i'm braiding i'm trying to distract her.

'haylee, do you like to have your hair done?' i ask. and in her sweet little voice she says, 'sometimes me does.....sometimes me doesn't.'


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Haylee looks like she sometimes gets visits from the tooth fairy. What a cutie.

Unknown said...

is she from My Fair Lady with a cockneye accent? how adorable!

Christi said...

That story is going to keep me going all day...I think I'll use that phrase all week just for fun.

domestic bias said...

you are a wonderful mom, writer, etc. I really LOVE reading your blog natalie even though it really makes me miss hanging out with you!

domestic bias said...

you are a wonderful mom, writer, etc. I really LOVE reading your blog natalie even though it really makes me miss hanging out with you!