Saturday, March 14, 2009

if anyone can convince me

i've always envisioned our family with three kids. not any more. i have lots of different reasons, lots of different theories. but mostly i know i probably just couldn't handle four. three feels like my limit.

there have been many that have tried to change my mind. saying that four isn't that bad, that they've always envisioned us with four. and i've always KNOWN that i'll only have three. granted in the back of my mind i realize that just about every time i say 'this is what will happen' the opposite occurs.

but this morning i felt a crack in the impenetrable wall. it was still dark this morning and the kids and i were snuggling on the couch. isaiah was cupped in my legs, alaythia was laying on me as i tickled the back of her neck. isaiah said, 'alaythia, let's say hi to the baby.' they both lean to my belly and say hello and wait, like it will respond. 'mom, so when this baby grows up and gets to be alaythia's age, you get another baby in your tummy right?' 'no, i think this is the last time i'll have a baby in my tummy' i say to him.

'what?! why?! that's what mommys do. when the baby grows up they get another one in their tummy.' 'not all mommys' i say. 'well, i think you should, we should have four kids.'

i tried my hardest to convince him that we wouldn't, he did his best to try to figure out why. i didn't feel like confessing that i thought i would go insane. but he hasn't let it die. as we were coloring this morning he drew a picture of daddy, mommy, alaythia, the baby and the other baby.

i've never been compelled to even THINK about it. but seeing his big brown eyes look at me and say he wanted more siblings...i had a hard time dismissing it.

6 comments:

w said...

Hmmm....should I comment? :D
I thought four was my limit. Then four years later...Now I really AM going insane! (But in a good there's-a-baby-to-sniff-and-make-it-all-better kind of way)

Christi said...

There's no way to ignore insights from Isaiah, especially when he starts drawing pictures. It's funny because now that I have three I know for sure that three is where it stops for me, but you I actually could picture with four. Be on your guard if you aren't sure cause those thirds turn out so, SO adorable and are usually the easiest to care for.

itsmepollyb said...

I've been thinking that four would be perfect for you. But then I had another thought...you've had two relatively easy going children so this third is due to be a real ripsnorter. Even if you had thought of maybe four, this next one may change your mind.

Justin now wants to adopt a younger sibling. He said,"so I can tell it about Jesus." How do you say no to that?! (but I did say wait).

LindaG said...

Hi Natalie,

Perhaps I should chime in...

Having four is the difference between two-on-two playing together and odd man out. You reach a saturation point with 3, so the 4th really isn't a huge change. The older ones start stepping up - it really is a beautiful thing. I will always be thankful & have to say I agree with The Wiseman Isaiah:)

Much love,
Mom G

alanmcs said...

the prophet isaiah?

what can i say--we thought we might be done at three, and then we got surprised with the beej. and what would we all do without her?

and i agree with your father-in-law. all the laughter, sharing, sibling stuff is a beautiful thing.

Heidi said...

Well I am on #4 so we'll sese!=0) But really, I think if you have any doubt there could be a 4th in your future after #3, you should go for it. You will never regret having that little one but you may always regret choosing NOT to!=0) Just my 2 cents worth!