Thursday, March 26, 2009

soccer mania

i don't want to go into all the details of why...i figure it's one thing to air my dirty laundry for the world to see, another to air his. but i will say this, our son has been giving us a run for our money lately.

i was venting to my mother-in-law over email last week about it. she calmly responded to me that isaiah needs something of his own. something that he goes to by himself, that's just for him. it wasn't a new thought to me, something i knew actually, but i haven't pulled the trigger.

now that he's 4 it's like the world of sports, in particular, have opened up to him. we thought about tee ball, which for his age would actually be wee ball, but didn't move on it and missed the registration. the email from my mother-in-law was the kick in the butt that i needed. the first thing i did the next day was sign him up for soccer. and it's been soccer mania ever since.

practicing his kicking, practicing his headers, talking about what he's going to do when he's on the field. mind you, he has not even been to practice yet. in fact, he barely understand how to play. but on it goes.

lest you think he's out of control...he's nothing compared to the grandmas. beside themselves with excitement, both of them talking about how they could possibly make it to a game. is there pictures? does he have a ball? he needs books to read about it.

i kid you not.

but if i'm honest, if i'm really gonna shoot straight, i haven't been all that sane about it either. when i got the first informational email i was giddy with delight, turning to isaiah and saying, 'you're going to play soccer!' I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET PICTURES OF HIM IN A UNIFORM! and as many can attest to, although it will look like a swarm of bees around the ball, you know i'll be the loudest mom cheering my son on. i can feel the lump in my throat already.

i guess the extreme-ness with isaiah hasn't stopped has it?

8 comments:

itsmepollyb said...

And you have no idea the depths it will go to...the fact that I fought back tears on Monday when the coach was harder on my son than I thought he should be, the comments regarding skill from other parents when they don't bother to notice that the kid they're discussing probably has parents within earshot, the fact that the photos always capture the one weird look or eyes closed shot when he looked cute all the other times...

julie martin said...

oh my word. isaiah playing soccer. and you. a soccer mom. the entire city of louisville will not know what hit them when you take the field as a spectator of your own kid.

how often, when we are in the throes of competitive volleyball--yelling, screaming, jumping up and down like manic nutcases--do i wish YOU were here to share it with us.

and yes, pictures please. ASAP

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

It's so much fun, watching them race around.

(Mine sang a lot at that age; such SERIOUS players.)

I hope he has a fabulous time.

Kathy said...

Wow, this post brought back lots of memories! Even before I got to the part about you screaming on the sidelines, I thought of the video we have of Justin wrestling in the championship match at District his Junior year, and throughout the entire match, Natalie SCREAMING for all she's worth in the background! Have fun, Mom! Treasure the memories!

Unknown said...

:)
I wish you were on the sidelines when i was playing soccer as a kid. the 'loudest mom' thing is awesome!!!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Are you gonna get the shin guards and knee socks? Too cute.

BTW, Natalie, I read your comment on my blog -- and YOU'RE HIRED!

LindaG said...

Coach Daddy? Way too cute!

Can't wait to see you,
GG

his.kid.care said...

Nat-Jaxon had his firt T-ball practice Thurs with his daddy as one of the coaches and yep, since last week when we found out about the team, etc it's been ALL baseball. He already informed us he is going to be the pitcher. I didn't have the heart to tell him there isn't one in T-ball =) And as to the yelling/cheering I remember you screaming clear as can be with Kathy right in there too for Justin and then I remember those same kinds of moments for my brother and it's so fun to have it my own kid now! We're excited with you guys. Oh and the grandma thing-yeah they're out of control. My parents flew to Hawaii on very short notice to go to my niece's first game. Ridiculous!
Carolyn (Dettori) Stewart