Friday, July 17, 2009

gaping and the pool

i've reached that point. i knew i would. i told all my friends to expect it. i no longer see people looking at my face when i walk near them, their eyes immediately go to my stomach. i can see what they're thinking. 'my word, how is that woman standing!' or 'she must be ready to pop.' and then they realize they're staring and quickly turn away. but they can't help looking at the freak show just one more time, i see them dart back again to try to take in the monstrosity.

no people. i'm no where near. i still have over 5 weeks to go...and that's early.

the comments have started too. in public last week a woman stared and then said, 'are you having twins?!' 'no', i say with a smile, 'i'm just short, it has no where to go but out.' i don't feel like revealing, to this complete stranger, that my children also come out weighing as much as 4 month olds. church too...in passing a woman said to me last week, 'oh, you've dropped! it will be any day now!' i smile and nod, knowing that again, i have so long to go and, no, i just carry my babies low.

the gaping, the stares. it's part of the territory for me. but it also means i'm getting close. don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining. i'm thankful for the gift, so very thankful. and i wouldn't trade it. but the comments and stares must at least be acknowledged.

-----

i'm not sure how i got through two previous pregnancies with out one. actually, with isaiah, i had access to one, and just never used it. for shame!

twice this week alone, (and the week is not through), i went to the pool. women, i'm telling you, to have the ability to feel weightless at this point in pregnancy...that is truly priceless. to be able to relax every muscle in your body at the same time. at this point!?

and it's worth it. worth squeezing it all into a suit. it's worth the discomfort of knowing what you must look like as you walk from the locker room to the water. but oh, the bliss.

the only bad part is stepping out of the water and realizing you do indeed weigh 600 pounds, and for the other 23 hours of the day, you must carry it around.

11 comments:

LindaG said...

:) Natalie, I just have to say...you DO have a way with words!

Love you & the Reason for the gaping,
Mom G

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Natalie! You make me hurt, just thinking about it! If you need a bright side regarding carrying your babies out there...I carried all of mine high and inside. I never looked full-term, but I would pass out, randomly (the babies pressed on my vena cava). No driving after 7 months, and several really embarrassing public conk-outs. At least you LOOK pregnant :). Good for you, girl!
Love, Aunt Sandi :)

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Oh Natalie, I can SO relate! I think any woman who has carried a full-term baby remembers how this feels. I got so many comments, and a lot of them from women who had "been there." I just kept wondering: "Don't you remember how YOU felt when you were pregnant and that these sorts of comments DO NOT HELP!?" Oh well ... Some day we may forget too. I hope not!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

The pool is magic. I swam in the deep, rainy winter 3x a week with Zack - my back felt better and the swelling would go down.

Hang in there sweetie. It'll soon be worth every stare.

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

I am so glad you are taking advantage of the pool! Good for you. And, I know you are getting comments, but I bet you are cute pregnant-I'd love a picture on the blog, because I'm sure you are beautiful (you always have been!)

domestic bias said...

hahahahahaha. I LOVE the pool, and despise the feeling of stepping out and feeling 600 lbs!

Unknown said...

Gotta love comments when you're pregnant. Brush them aside. I've had way too many in these last 6 years of my life. I, too love the pool when prego. Hang in there sister.

Shana Stringer said...

You should start denying you are pregnant to those harsh drive-by commentators. Then they would feel like junk.

Krista said...

Here's what's really sad . . . I can totally relate to the stares, and I'm 8 weeks behind you. Thanks for checking our blog every once in a while, you're the one who inspired me to start it.

julie martin said...

you're killin' me! so fun you discovered an easy way to take off that load. precious load that she is!!

Heidi said...

I am feeling you! I have spoken those same words about the pool over the past 8 years of pregnancies! I have been meaning to write a blog about our trip to Palm Springs which was specifically planned to just hang out in a pool! But, I always tell Craig the worst part is stepping out and feeling like 500 pounds again! Yuck! Ahh to feel somewhat like yourself while in the pool....priceless!=0)

As for the comments...boy do people make comments! Soon it will be over and hopefully it will be just lot's of good comments on your cute new bundle!