Tuesday, July 21, 2009

matthew and marriage

yesterday matt took his turn turning the big 3-0. we had a fabulous day of celebrating, from the moment he woke up. at one point in the day he said it had been a perfect birthday and that he had gotten everything he could have asked for. things like: books, coffee maker, an amazon kindle, gift certificates to starbucks, mcdonalds and taco bell. what more does a boy need? i was thankful that he turned 30, for now, the 'old' jokes can stop. and i'm glad he knows what it feels like. it's a little discombobulating. i'm not glad he felt it, just glad he's in it with me. as i counted his gray hairs last night, i said to him, the best thing about growing old, is that we get to grow old together.

today we're celebrating 8 years of marriage.

over the past several months i have been thinking hard about marriage. i'm not doubting my marriage at all. in fact, my thoughts stem from wanting to STAY married and have a happy, healthy marriage.

this is what i know to be true today. i love matthew more today than i did 8 years ago. he is more worthy of honor and respect than i ever could have imagined. he loves me sacrificially, he out serves me and supports me in every way. i live a full, rich life with him. i would follow him wherever he went. i trust him completely and know that i am safe with him. he is raising children, our children, to be lovers of God. he invests, teaches, and loves them to that end. and they are flourishing in the security of a father's love. he is willing to work hard for me. through challenges, frustrations and not seeing eye to eye. he's unwilling to ignore it and just let it be. he invests when it's hard to look at me, let alone love me.

and today more than ever i am excited to continue to write our story.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My...what a glorious day it was 8 years ago today when 2 became 1 at one of the most memorable ceremonies...and then the celebration continued at the first of many weddings here in this place. Our "dance floor" patio is a reminder of the incredible joy that permeated the air, the Spirit of God Himself obviously among us, smiling on the festivities and the union of you 2...many holy moments, I can visualize many things...I remember the welling up of emotion throughout and how God spoke in significant volume to all of us...It was utterly life changing, Matt and Natalie, and to see you as parents extrodinaire and building your family..I am praising Him w/you right now. I love you! ~Joy

Shana Stringer said...

What a great testimoney! I like you guys :)

tommysmommy said...

what a great picture of your heart, the heart of a loving wife! thank you for sharing it with all of us!

Krista said...

I love this post, Nat. Thanks for sharing.
p.s. isn't it crazy to think we're not in our twenties anymore?!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I hope you had a great anniversary you sweet things.