Thursday, November 8, 2007

deadline #1

i've been thinking about moving a lot lately. i couldn't figure out why all of the sudden i was thinking about it so much. after all, we most likely won't be going anywhere until august. then it hit me...our first deadline in the PhD application process is close at hand.

until now it's all be out there -- someday. but on monday matt takes the GRE and in 'the plan' that has always been the first deadline to meet. then comes applications due, interviews, acceptance and moving.

the romanticism of moving for PhD work is quickly being sucked away. the realities of a new home, a new neighborhood, a new culture....it's all becoming much more real. for example, at the park a few days ago i met a woman who was new to vancouver...only 3 months in. i wondered if that would be me soon, trying to make friends at the park. i felt an extra measure of compassion for her and tried to ease the transition for this stranger.

but for now, i'll focus on monday and the test matt will take. it could determine a lot of where we will go. if you feel so inclined, i would covet your prayers.

4 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Ug. I hear you. Now that it appears that we are moving to Eugene (but I can't *say* it, because I'm in denial), I think about being new all the time. I think I can be happy anywhere. But it is exhausting at first, and lonely.

Prayer request secured.

Unknown said...

whoa...that was fast.
you'll do super great!

Please give Matt my best!

Laura said...

We're praying for you! Still can't believe he has to take a math section for a theology degree, but he'll do great!!!

julie martin said...

great job mattchew! we are excited to see where the Lord leads you next!