Thursday, November 15, 2007

my life in piles

i went to our storage unit recently to drop off all the infant stuff we're no longer using. i finally admitted to myself today that i hate going to our storage unit. it's probably not for the reasons you're thinking...dirty, out of the way, cold. no, it's for another reason.


i hate going and seeing all my stuff in boxes, in piles, with dust piled on top.


i love my parents house. it's big, it's beautiful. we have everything and more we could ever want or need. we're living the high life here. there's many things we have here that we will never have when we live on our own. their appliances are upgraded, their furniture is big and comfortable. the carpet is clean, the bathrooms are a plenty...the cable we've come very accustomed to. but when i go to the storage unit i remember that i'm in transition, the house i live in really isn't mine, although it feels like it most of the time. i remember what my house looks like, even in piles of boxes.


if i had a day when i was caught up on my life and my kids were taken care of...i would go to the storage unit. i would open every box and remember. i would throw away stuff that i don't want any more, because my taste has changed in 2 years, and i would repack other stuff that i once thought wasn't that important, but now cherish.

4 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I'm sorry. I wouldn't like that either....

Does saying 'someday' help?

Unknown said...

if you get the chance, do it. You'll be so glad you did.
About 2 years ago I sold almost everything in my storage unit...the liberation was profound. I think it brought me closer to underanding that this life is really not my home.

Anonymous said...

I understand.
~pkb

Sherri Price said...

We've been there, so I understand. It isn't that all of that stuff is that important but it's part of your life here on earth and a way you expressed your creativity in making a house your home. That stuff tells a story about you and your family and what you value. So many of those things hold precious memories... just like the memories you'll have of the things at your parents' house - someday soon...